Saint Maximilian (né Rajmund) Kolbe, 8 January 1894–14 August 1941, a Polish Catholic priest and friar who volunteered to die in place of another Auschwitz prisoner. The man he saved, Franciszek Gajowniczek, lived to 93.
Raymond is a French and English name which originates in Ancient Germanic Raginmund. Its roots are ragin (advice) and mund (protector). It arrived in England via the Norman occupiers, as Reimund. Several Medieval saints had this name, such as St. Raymond Nonnatus, patron saint of midwives and expectant mothers.
In the U.S., Raymond was #87 when name popularity records began in 1880, and steadily rose into the Top 20. It was in the Top 20 from 1908–38, with a highest rank of #14 in 1919. Raymond remained in the Top 50 till 1970, and the Top 100 till 1991. In 2018, it was #299.
Ramón Novarro (né José Ramón Gil Samaniego), 1899–1969, my next-fave male actor of the silent era
Other forms of the name include:
1. Raimundo is Spanish and Portuguese.
2. Ramón is Spanish. The alternate form Ramon is Catalan.
3. Raymundo is Latin American–Spanish and Brazilian–Portuguese.
4. Raimondas is Lithuanian.
5. Rajmund is Hungarian, Polish, Slovenian, Czech, and Croatian. The alternate form Rajmùnd is Kashubian.
6. Remao is Limburgish.
7. Raymund is an English variation.
8. Raimon is Catalan.
9. Reimo is Finnish.
10. Reima is also Finnish.
American actor, vaudevillian, and stage performer Raymond Wallace Bolger (1904–87), known as Ray
11. Rajmond is Albanian and Slovenian.
12. Raimonds is Latvian.
13. Raimondo is Italian.
14. Réamann is Irish. It’s Anglicised as Redmund and Redmond.
15. Reimund is German.
16. Raymand is Belarusian.
17. Reymond is Bulgarian.
18. Ramund is Danish.
19. Raimund is Estonian and German.
20. Rejmond is Macedonian and Serbian.
Italian inventor, writer, soldier, nobleman, and scientist Raimondo di Sangro, Prince of Sansevero (1710–71), painted by Francesco de Mura
21. Raimondu is Corsican.
22. Rådmund is Norwegian.
23. Råmund is also Norwegian.
24. Reimond is Romanian.
25. Ramunder is Swedish.
26. Remondi is Yoruba.
27. Raimundas is Lithuanian.
28. Remundu is Sardinian.
29. Raymondos is Greek.
30. Raimond is Dutch and Estonian.
German businessman, art collector, and Imperial Count Raymund Fugger (1489–1535), painted by VIncenzo Catena
31. Erramun is Basque.
32. Arrammundu is Sicilian.
33. Arramon is Gascon.
1. Ramona is Spanish, Romanian, Galician, Italian, and English. The alternate form Ramóna is Hungarian.
2. Reymonde is French.
3. Raimonda is Italian.
4. Raimunde is German.
5. Raymonda is Dutch and English.
6. Raimunda is Lithuanian, Galician, Portuguese–Brazilian, and Medieval Catalan.
7. Raimonde is French.
8. Rajmonda is Albanian
9. Erramona is Basque.